42nd World Fantasy Convention℠ Art Show
This year’s World Fantasy Convention℠ will be held at the Hyatt Regency Hotel in Columbus, OH from
October 27th to 30th, (Halloween weekend).
If you are exhibiting at Illuxcon, we are trying to arrange free transport of art from Reading to Columbus. You would only have to pay return shipment fees from Columbus, as well as having a supporting membership in World Fantasy.
THIS IS A JURIED SHOW.
If you have exhibited in a World Fantasy Convention℠ Art Show in 2 of the last 4 years (please tell us which ones-we are required to check), have been a Guest of Honor at a World Fantasy Convention℠ , have been a World Fantasy Award℠ winner or are known to the jury, you are exempt from the jury selection process. You may request space and pay your fees without any further steps.
Please include a large SASE with 2 oz. postage for your confirmation materials. You will be receiving control and bid sheets for Art Show and Print Shop, if requested. Please indicate on the reservation form if you would prefer to get these forms via email so you can print them out yourself.
If not exempt, you must go through the jury process.
What to Send Us
At least 3 but no more than 6 samples must be included in your submission. Samples may be: tear sheets, photos, magazine covers, or slides. Please don’t send originals of any kind, full-size prints, or transparencies. Digital samples of your work are preferred, provided the size of the email containing the samples is no more than 1MB (send multiple emails if necessary), and the files are formatted as JPEG/JPG, GIF, PNG, or TIFF. If there is a web site that contains samples of your work, that web site address is likely all we need. Send digital submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you would like your physical samples returned to you, you must include a SASE large enough to hold your samples, with sufficient postage.
Please send in your space request form with your jury materials to the address on the form. DO NOT SEND THE FEES UNTIL YOU ARE APPROVED! Sending the form will allow us to put your name on your space as soon as the jury has passed your work without the delay of another mailing. If you are approved for the show, we will send you a confirmation letter or email and a bill for your space at that time. If you are NOT approved, we will send you notice of that as well.
DEADLINE FOR JURY SUBMISSIONS IS JULY 29, 2016!
You may designate an Agent to bring your artwork to and from the Art Show. This person will be responsible for hanging your art and making any decisions regarding it at the convention. You must give them a letter authorizing them to act for you to give us at check-in, and list their name and address on the reservation form where indicated.
The shipping address for artwork will be included in your confirmation letter. All art shipped to the show must be shipped pre-paid. Please utilize reusable cartons/packing material and avoid packing peanuts if possible. The convention will not be responsible for damage to mail-in pieces. Unless you specify another carrier or a different amount of return insurance, your art will be returned within one week of the show via USPS, insured for minimum bid value. You must also include return postage with your reservation.
There is no mail-in fee, but you must have a supporting membership for the convention in order to mail in art. A supporting membership is US$50 and entitles you to all published materials and to vote for the World Fantasy Awards. (The supporting membership requirement will be waived if you are a past WFC Guest of Honor).
There will be space for both 3D and 2D work. All 2D work will be hung on an area of 4 foot high by 6 foot wide on open grid work panels. You may bring material to cover your panels, but please make sure it is flame-retardant (and have proof of this). We will supply hooks and clips to hang your work.
Tables are 6 feet long by 3 feet wide (two 18 inch tables together). Small 3D artwork (such as jewelry) should be in a lockable, closed display case. We will have LIMITED cases available–please ask. Small items without a case should be securely fastened to a larger display board or device. If possible, please supply shipping boxes with packing materials for 3D art for transport by a buyer.
Please let us know if you have any special needs or requests (electricity for table displays, free-standing artwork space) and we will try to accommodate you.
Open to exhibiting artists only. There will be no commission. A flat fee of $1 per item entered will be charged. For example, if you bring 4 copies each of 4 different prints the fee will be 4 x 4 x $1 or $16. Fees may be changed at check-in, if you change the amounts entered on your reservation form. We are planning to have all copies of prints hung on long hooks on panels, so please have your prints matted, mounted, shrink-wrapped or sleeved for protection while displayed. Each print should be clearly marked on the back with the artist name, piece title, and price. There will also be a print shop ID tag supplied to you to put on each copy. No loose unmatted prints will be allowed in the Print Shop.
Fees must be in US dollars drawn upon a US bank, payable to “World Fantasy 2016” You can also pay using MasterCard, Visa, Discover or Paypal (see form)
Panel fees are US$75 for a 4′ x 6′ panel, with a maximum of 3 panels per artist. You may also purchase a half panel (4′ x 3′) for US$40.
Tables are US$75 for a 6′ long by 3′ wide table, $40 for ½ table, and $20 for 1/4 table, with a maximum of 2 tables per artist.
We will charge a 5% commission on any sales over $2,000.
Payment for Sales
Artists will be paid for sold art work between four to six weeks after the convention. No payments will be made at the convention. Checks are to the Artist’s legal name as shown on the registration form, unless you specify another payee or business name.
All pieces are sold without any reproduction rights. We will provide a list of pieces sold with the names and addresses of the purchasers.
If you wish to bring a special display for your art, we will try to accommodate you. All such requests will be handled individually.
Be prepared for the Art Show staff to handle your sold artwork. Please provide packing materials for small 3D objects.
We deposit all checks/money orders as they are received. This does not guarantee that every artist will get all the space they request. Refunds will be made for excess fees.
There will be an Art Show Reception—exact time and place yet to be determined.
There will be awards-Best In Show, Judges’ Choice, and Honorable Mentions.
In all things, the judgment and decisions or the Art Show Directors and staff are final.
By submitting a signed reservation form, you agree that you have read and will abide by these rules.
Precise paperwork instructions and a timeline will be sent with your confirmation materials.
July 29—Deadline for jury submissions
August 14—Deadline for artist reservations and fees
August 21—ALL artists notified of acceptance into show and amount of space granted October 18—Mail-in artwork deadline (address for art supplied with acceptance)
There is a maximum of 3 units (total) panel and table space, per artist.
- Artists are encouraged to show predominantly new works of a Fantasy, Horror (Dark Fantasy), or similar theme. Science fiction art with fantasy elements is also acceptable. Only original artwork will be hung in the show. There will be no “resold” artwork allowed—all work must be the property of the artist exhibiting at the show. An agent may be designated to bring artwork to and from the show.
- Single, signed copies of “Fine Art Prints” from a limited edition (100 or less) may be displayed in the main Art Show. These prints are hand-made by the artist from a physical object (e.g., lithographic stones, etching plates, silk-screens, photographic material, etc.). “Mechanically produced prints” are entirely produced by a mechanical device without handwork by the artist (e.g., giclee, inkjet, laserprint, offset, color copier, etc.) from any kind of original (including all-digital). Artists are requested to hang such art in the Print Shop only.
- The 42nd WFC reserves to right to refuse the exhibition of any piece for any reason. Works that are judged to be libelous, plagiaristic, obscene, or detrimental to the value of trademarked characters will not be permitted. Likewise, no artwork from commercial patterns, kits, or molds is permitted. If you have any questions, include a sample of the questionable piece with your jury materials. If problems arise, you may be requested to not show a particular piece.
- All 2-Dimensional artwork must be matted, mounted, or framed. If framed, please have a hanging wire on the back. When hanging, please allow enough room for bid sheets. Small 3-Dimensional artwork (such as jewelry) must be in a lockable, closed display case. Small items without a case should be securely fastened to a larger display board or device. Limited display case space may be available; please ask. The 42nd WFC is not responsible for theft or damage to small pieces displayed without these precautions.
- All artwork must be clearly labeled. A bid sheet must be made out for all pieces, whether for sale or not. The piece number must be on the back/bottom of each piece (on stickers which will be provided), as well as the artist’s name and piece title.
- Once entered in the show no piece may be withdrawn before the close of the show on Sunday, nor may the conditions of sale, amount of minimum bid, Quick Sale price, NFS status, etc.be changed with the express approval of the Show Director.
- The Art Show will be set up on Wednesday evening and/or Thursday morning. Art will be accepted for display starting sometime on Thursday in the late morning. A receipt will be issued for all art accepted. Artwork may not be reclaimed without this receipt and identification. If you cannot reclaim your art yourself, please make prior arrangements with the Show Director for your agent.
- There will be NO voice auction. Each bid sheet will have space for 5 bids and sheets will be added if necessary. The Director reserves the right to reduce or increase the number of bids required.
- Photography will not be allowed within the art show without the express permission of the Show Director. Please do not give anyone permission to photograph your artwork in the Art Show. Press photographers may be allowed to take wide-angle shots of the room, or photograph a particular artist’s panels with the artist present, but only with permission from the Show Directors.
- There will be a “Quick Sale” option for buyers. If there are no bids on the piece, it may be purchased immediately for the price you set (we recommend at least 150% of the minimum bid). The piece will not be able to be removed from the show until pickup on Sunday, so it will still be displayed and eligible for awards. If you do not wish to use this option, put NIA in that space on the control/bid sheets.